Sunday, January 31, 2010

Back at the wheel

After finishing my Miralda's Triangular Shawl and realizing just how much fun it was to knit with my own handspun, I did the only logical thing: started another project at the wheel.


13.1 ounces of BFL top dyed by Chris of Briar Rose Fibers is slowly but surely turning into this:


I'm shooting for a loftier yarn that I have made before with BFL fibers. It's a bit of a challenge getting the right balance between keeping the twist loose and airy while still having enough twist that the singles don't start to break when subjected to a firm tug. I did pretty well with the first two skeins but the singles in my third (of four total) was spun a bit more tightly than the first two. I'll have to watch out for that on the last skein.


I hope you don't mind looking at one last pic of this yarn. I'm so pleased with how it turned out. Hopefully a little soak in some warm water will help loosen up that third skein. If nothing else, alternating between skeins as I knit will help to even out any inconsistencies.

What am I planning on doing with all of this? Unlike much of my handspun, which just sits around looking pretty while I figure out what on earth I am going to make with this, I am actually spinning this fiber with a project in mind: Coraline (ravelry link). With the first three skeins coming in at 240, 280, and 244 yards each, I'm right on track to meet the yardage requirements. Yay!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Seeing it in skeins makes me think even more that this will be perfect for Coraline. And I'm really enjoying watching you progress from fiber to finished project...so fascinating and inspirational!

Karin said...

What a wonderful spinner you are.