Saturday, March 6, 2010

A break from your regularly scheduled programming

The DH celebrated his birthday last week and we welcomed a new fiber hobby into the family: weaving.


This is a 24" Kromski Harp rigid heddle loom with its accompanying floor stand. We dug into my sock yarn stash and pulled out three colors of Louet Gems Pearl for him to get started.


Pretty nifty, no? I tried a couple of passes with the shuttle and can see how this would be a fun hobby. That said, I think I'd much rather receive handwoven items than actually do the weaving myself. 


Sounds like a good division of labor to me.

The arrival of the loom doesn't mean that I've stopped knitting. Quite the contrary. I've actually been knitting on all sorts of things. I just don't have any pictures to share.

My one knitting pic of the week:


We took a sock to this week's taping of Wait, Wait . . . Don't Tell Me on Thursday night (also part of the birthday celebrations). It was a lot of fun and I would highly recommend it if you're in the area.

3 comments:

Sel and Poivre said...

I must avert my eyes from pictures of looms...I would so love to weave (and spin!) but there aren't enough hours in this knitter's day! Congratulations on your new addition though! (I did peek - it looks fabulous!)

elizabeth said...

I see lots of spinning singles in your future! I agree with Marie - I simply can't have another hobby (though I would dearly love to learn to weave...)!

Rachel said...

Now you have me envious! Not only do you own a loom, but you have a husband interested in the fiber arts! :) I've thought often over the past couple years of buying a loom...until I repeatedly remind myself I have no time for a new hobby.

And very cool that you went to a taping of Wait, Wait...Don't Tell Me. Love that show!