Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Saved by the photoshoot


I've been feeling a bit frazzled lately and my knitting is starting to show it. Or rather, my lack of knitting. I had high hopes of finishing Que Sera by the Fourth (yes, they were delusional hopes but real hopes nonetheless). I've finished the body and started one sleeve but now I'm stalled.

I think I've diagnosed the problem: a pesky little thing called the bar exam that takes place in two weeks. Now, I've been able to get quite a bit of knitting done during my bar study. Every day for the past two months I've had 3-4 hours of lecture to listen to and that makes for great knitting time. But recently the lectures have required much more note-taking, which means less knitting. I've been able to knit a bit, but only on relatively mindless things like my latest pair of husband socks (DH will be pleased). And next week has no lectures at all - just 10-12 hours of pure cramming every day. (Thank you, boss, for giving me next week off to study.)

Last week was better. I did this: charts 1, 2, and a tiny bit of 3 from Juneberry.


(No, this isn't the sort of thing I can knit on during lectures. Instead, it was my reward at the end of the day.)

I'm actually a couple of rows past this point. I had paused here (yes, gasp, in mid-row) because I wasn't sure how I liked the bobbles in the laceweight yarn. Nupps would have been lovely. Really lovely. But that's not what the patterned called for and I don't think they quite fit with the feel of the piece. So I stopped.

I also wasn't quite sure how I felt about the laciness of the piece. My problem: it wasn't the thick, weighty fabric of the original. Which is unsurprising, given that the original is knit in a sport-weight yarn and I'm knitting with a true laceweight on the same sized needles. That was intentional. I saw Veronik's gorgeous version in laceweight and decided to go for it in Zephyr.

Of course I forgot all of that when bar exam malaise hit, and seriously thought about ripping the whole thing and starting over in a more substantial yarn. Then I took this photo


and decided that I do like the fine, open lace after all. Here's hoping I can find some time to work on it in the next couple of weeks.

And bar exam - please let me pass the first time. I really don't want to go through this process again.

4 comments:

Gale Bulkley said...

That is a truly beautiful colour and I am so glad it was saved from the frog pond. It will be an amazing piece when finished.

All the best for the bar exam. How long after the writing before you have results?

Jennifer said...

Good luck! I'll be keeping my fingers and toes crossed for good measure.

Jonah said...

Good luck!

Rachel said...

Ah, you've reached that point...just remember you only have a few more days of cramming, then the test and then you can reward yourself by catching up on all that knitting time!! I'll say good luck, but I don't think you need it...I'm sure you'll pass with flying colors!

And in my opinion, the open lace is quite lovely!