Sunday, July 31, 2011

FO: Rock Island


That's right, I finally finished Rock Island. Knitting this shawl took a while and then it sat in my knitting basket for a couple of weeks waiting to be blocked. And it took a few more days beyond that to get a chance to snap pictures. But it's done! (Ravelry project page)

I'm sure you've seen shots of the full shawl so I'm just going to show modeled and detail shots that I like best.


This is actually a rather tricky piece to wear because it is so big. I've never been a huge fan of the traditional drape: triangle centered across the back with the tips falling down over your shoulders in the front. The look is a bit tough for me to pull off. Instead, I've opted for the hopefully-artful drape around neck and shoulders. And this piece is great for that.


The body of the shawl is just garter stitch and it feels wonderful scrunched up around the neck. For all it's size, this is one very light and airy shawl.



I love the simplicity of the lace stitches - clean geometric lines. And a semi-solid yarn is definitely the way to go with this one. I used Madelinetosh tosh lace, a really lovely 2-ply superwash merino lace weight yarn. It's very elastic and that suits this piece nicely.

Ready for some detail shots?


I thought so.


This is definitely not a beginner lace project. Don't get me wrong, none of the techniques are difficult. But there's some fiddly work in tiny yarn. And it's not fast, even if the last section does speed by quite pleasantly. You work the edging first. Probably a good thing since I'm sure it would have taken me much longer to finish this shawl if I had to work all 71 repeats at the end of the project. That said, it's a lovely edging and Jared worked the turn very nicely, See?


As much as I love the lace bits, I think my favorite part of the piece is the froth of garter stitch in the center. Can you blame me?


This one's a keeper!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is incredibly stunning. & yes, I think you pulled off the artful shoulder drape quite nicely! Well done indeed!

Estella said...

Rue, it is gorgeous! I've wanted to make this for a while and now I know I have to make it. I don't know how you can do that lace knitting with a new baby...when my son was born I definitely had baby brain and I doubt I could have managed this.

margaux said...

gorgeous Rock Island!! love it.

Jacey said...

It's so beautiful, and so are you! You look lovely, especially in that first photo. This is such an elegant shawl, and I can see why it's a keeper.

Jodi said...

Just gorgeous, Rue! I love how it juxtaposes delicate lace with more substantial garter stitch.

I just bought some of that yarn (in a different colorway) for a Citron. Happy to see a good review of it here!

Kathy said...

Oh it's absolutely beautiful! The garter stitch creates lovely definition and depth for the "plain" section. Let me know if your fav color changes and I'll take this off your hands!

elizabeth said...

That is so beautiful! The yarn is so fine, it almost looks like a linen blend! Perfect, perfect!

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous and stunning shawl! Just added it to my long list of Raverly Favorites :)

Rachel said...

AAHHH...the finished Rock Island!! It's so beautiful Rue...I love the green shade you chose. I keep looking this pattern over, but knowing I won't wear it (although your ideas on how you wear it may change my mind). Each time I see a finished one though, I know that wear it or not, I really want to knit it!

beardedknitter said...

Oh my goodness! I've been so out of touch with my blogs that I nearly missed it!

It looks really, really good though, and congratulations! Tadpole's sweater looks pretty sweet as well. :)